Thank you for your interest in adopting a DVGRR dog. Your application will take 1-2 weeks to process, and we ask with your application, that if your property is fenced, please provide approximately five pictures (can be taken from a cell phone camera) concentrating on:
- Where your fence joins your house
- Gate areas
- Where the fence meets the ground or any gaps
- The front of the house with house number visible, if possible
- Any other areas that may be of benefit
Email the pictures to Gateway@dvgrr.org and we ask that you include the name that your application is under in the email to avoid confusion.
Our adoption policies and procedures are in place for a reason, and our adoption requirements are non-negotiable.
Please do not apply to adopt if:
- You want a particular dog that is not suitable for the ages of the children in your home. We evaluate suitability on a dog-by-dog basis. Each dog’s description includes if they are or are not recommended for a home with younger children.
- You want a dog that requires a physical fence and you do not have one. As with child age requirements, we will evaluate the requirement about a physical fence or underground fencing on a dog-by-dog basis. UNDERGROUND/INVISIBLE FENCING IS NOT A PHYSICAL FENCE. We will NOT bend on this parameter.
- You intend to have the dog outside unattended or kept as an “outside dog.” (Pennsylvania Dog Laws require that dogs be leashed when not in a contained area. Further, many of our dogs are strays and, thus, are proven “runners.”)
Please understand that it may take several months to find a dog that is a suitable match for your household and situation. We’re dedicated to matching the right dog with the right family! Thank you for your understanding.
NOTE: There is a $35.00 non-refundable processing fee which you will be prompted to remit after successful submission of your online application. (Note: We do not accept American Express.) This payment must be received before your application will be reviewed. If your application is declined or if you withdraw your application for any reason, your processing fee will not be refunded.
Also: We are located in Reinholds, PA (approx. 65 miles northwest of Philadelphia) and while we do not require adopters to be Pennsylvania residents, we do require that all family members (and any existing family dogs) come to Golden Gateway for the adoption meeting. We do not ship dogs.